7/4/10

Bent's Old Fort 4th of July

Leading the parade from the parking area to the fort.


Reading of the Declaration of Independence: " And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."


Reading of the Declaration of Independence: " And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."


The main courtyard of the fort.


The flag today was much larger than that usually flown.


Lieutenant of the First Regiment of Dragoons. Very soon after the commencement of hostilities between the United States and Mexico, preparations were begun for the invasion of Mexican territory at various points. One expedition was to advance from the Missouri River west to Mexico, Santa Fé being its objective point. It was immediately determined, however, to push on with this column and occupy Upper California. General Kearny was placed in command of this "Army of the West," which consisted of Companies B, C, G, I and K, 1st Dragoons, two companies of artillery, two of infantry and nine companies of Missouri volunteer cavalry under command of Colonel A. W. Doniphan, in all about 1800 men. This command was concentrated at Bent's Fort on the Arkansas, from which point it marched for Santa Fé, August 1, 1846.*


Explaining the Army's presence at Bent's Old Fort at the time of the Mexican War.

The temperance speech, wherein the pitfalls of demon rum, the Devil's brew, are expounded upon. Following the speech, the occupants of the fort repaired to the saloon for 'light libations'.

More Bent's Old Fort imagery: Bent's Old Fort

* Excerpt about the First Regiment of Dragoons drawn from "The army of the United States : historical sketches of staff and line with protraits of generals-in-chief" by Theophilus Francis Rodenbough and William Lawrence Haskin, New York : Maynard, Merrill, & Co., 1896