4/18/13

Obama's hissy fit

Obama threw a bit of a hissy fit yesterday, putting up a bit of a temper tantrum over the failure of the Senate to pass the amendment package to his 'gun bill'.

"All in all, this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," Obama said, in his usual petulant, accusatory manner.

"The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill," Obama said. He said the claims "upset" some gun owners who in turn "intimidated" senators. 

I don't think 'the gun lobby and its allies' willfully lied about the bill. I am one of those 'allies.' I don't believe they lied. I think they looked out for my interests as a citizen and a gun owner. They also looked out for the interests of the gun and ammunition manufacturers. That's what they are supposed to do. As for 'intimidating' senators, I prefer to think of my communications as 'remonstrating' and 'petitioning.' And I doubt that I intimidated anyone. OTOH, several million of us may well have accomplished just that

The master of Chicago-style politics should understand intimidation quite well.

Obama said that 90% of gun owners favor expanded background checks. That's a bit of an overstatement, but it is fairly accurate, which is surprising, coming from this president. Most of the polls show somewhere about 85%, perhaps a bit higher, of gun owners supporting expanded background checks. I do. Yep. I do indeed. I even support some kind of mandatory gun safety training before a citizen can own a gun. The main argument against that is that it interferes with a constitutional right. I think that can be worked out.

I've been a police firearms instructor for well over twenty-five years. I see a safety training requirement as 'common sense.' I see a requirement that guns be stored securely in some manner as 'common sense,' too, but these are things that need to be discussed and debated at length, not jammed down our throats as an emotional knee jerk reaction, with a smarmy 'I won and you lost' attitude on the part of our president, surrounded by political props in the form of the parents of dead children and sycophantic police administrators.

I agree with these guys:

"I believe very strongly that our current background check system needs strengthening and improving, particularly in areas that could keep guns out of the hands of felons and the mentally ill. At the same time, I cannot support legislation that infringes upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms," Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., one of those opposed, said in a statement. 

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, echoed Heller in a statement released following the vote saying "Following the tragedy at Sandy Hook, we all wanted to find answers that would reduce crime and prevent the next senseless act of violence. Unfortunately, the Senate did not consider any proposals that would achieve these objectives."

I am also pleased that both of our US senators, Michael Bennett and Mark Udall,voted against the Feinstein amendment That is the one that would have re-instituted the ban on so-called 'assault weapons'.

OK then. Get back to the legislative drawing board and come up with something that will accomplish these objectives. And Mr. President? The problem with you is not that you don't like guns. The problem with you is that you don't like people who like guns. That would be people like me and a good many of my neighbors.

Meanwhile, Obama and Michael Bloomberg should go back to dealing with the pressing issues of the day, like banning high capacity soda feeding devices.

More on gun control:

NRA Beats Major Gun Proposals?
The NRA
Recalling Giron
John Morse: Ignore them
John Morse, Angela Giron, and 'threats'
Giron v. Magpul