8/30/16

"America ... love it or leave it ..."

My God, how I hated that bumper sticker, back during the war. The Vietnam war.

It was always on the bumper of a car owned by one of the saber-rattling super-patriots.

Implicit in its meaning was the attitude that if you didn't buy into the way things were going, you need to leave.

How about staying, and trying to change things for the better? Ending the war. Ending the insanely useless killing.

Today, we are seeing Mein Fuehrer on the same rant:

 "I think it’s personally not a good thing," Trump told Seattle radio station KIRO when asked about the controversy. "I think it’s a terrible thing, and you know, maybe he should find a country that works better for him, let him try, it’s not gonna happen."

How about he stays, and tries to change the way things are. Though Kaepernick has chosen poorly - in my opinion, which is just an opinion - I do not doubt that he loves this country as much as any of the rest of us.

Kaepernick doesn't like the way some things are going, and he wants to bring about change. It is also clear to me that Kaepernick, despite his methodology - or perhaps because of it - has shown a better understanding of 'Americanism' than has Trump and his followers.

I can't fault him for that.

Trump, as usual, is appealing to the mindless, unthinking hordes, our modern version of an American Sturmabteilung.

I will stand with Kaepernick, and not with Trump. Despite his manner of protest, I think Kaepernick is a better example of an American patriot than is Donald Trump, the hate-mongering racist who does best in fragmenting the nation and pitting one group against another.