8/27/16

Kaepernick's refusal

Niners QB Kaepernick refuses to stand for anthem in protest
Well ... let's watch the flag-wavin' super-patriots go alpha sierra over this one.
But the 49ers got this right:
"In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.''

I don't agree with his position, though, because I think his explanation, as presented, is shallow. I think he might want to take a watch of "For Love of Liberty" and put it in perspective there. He will see men and women who had and who have a lot more sand than does he, and certainly most of the BLM clowns. By refusing to stand, I think he is dissing all those portrayed in "For Love of Liberty," and more.



Update 0750/08.28.2016. Prompted by some discussions on FB ... Almost all of the flag-waving super-patriots I have come across have never served in uniform, and have sacrificed little or nothing.

They become enraged over people who refuse to recite the pledge of allegiance, or who burn or otherwise 'desecrate' flags. They want such people jailed; some are willing to assault such people, beat them up ... for what? To teach them all about 'American values?'

I find flag-burning, etc to be a very poor means of trying to make a point, but I believe it to be protected 'speech'. I think it is, and so does the Supreme Court. Our Constitution says so, buried there in the First Amendment.

I believe Kaepernick's form of protest to be a poor one, but it is his God-given right to do it that way. I think so, and so does the Supreme Court, and our Constitution says so.

It's not my fault that the flag-waving super-patriots' critical thinking skills are so poorly developed that they can't see it; that their emotional development ceased somewhere at the kindergarten level.

I've written about this elsewhere. The oath I have taken many times has always been to 'protect and defend the Constitution.' That means I 'protect and defend' Kaepernick's form of protest. I don't like it, I don't have to like it, but that's where I stand with it. That's where the Constitution stands with it.

Those who have served in uniform, yet who engage in the rabid psuedo-Americanism of the flag-waving super-patriots would do well to take a good think on the oath they took, and what it really means.

Update 1030/08.28.2016. And yet another perspective. I particularly like this one:

I thought long and deeply all day today over your actions. My initial reaction was harsh and pretty vicious but as I thought longer I thought it would be more beneficial to send you this message. I hope it goes viral and reaches you.

What you did last night by sitting down through the national anthem because, and I quote "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," he said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." was the act of a coward.

Your action was selfish and self serving. You knew this would be seen by thousands and would proceed to cause a shit storm that would now be talked about by millions, myself included. Your actions solved and will solve nothing but cause further divide in a nation already brutally divided. As the Mother of a Marine and friend to so many Marines, Blue Star MoMs and Gold Star MoMs, I see first hand selfless and humble statements made every day. Not for glory or attention (negative or positive) but in service to help others.

What you could have done, which would have gone so much further, was to take some of those millions you earn, and quietly head to your nearest oppressed, crime ridden poor city and make a substantial contribution towards the churches, schools and community outreach programs that give children and families a chance to get a better education and get help to get out of their circumstances.

The same cities that white and black, men and women, work in every night in uniform, protecting those children and families. I did not see or hear of you doing any of these selfless acts. I did however hear of your behavior. You are now part of the problem when you had an awesome chance to be part of the solution.

Have you ever heard of iamangelfoundation? Founded by a man who grew up in the worst of the worst neighborhoods and decided to be part of the solution, not the problem. You should lead by example and not the one you made last night. I urge you, if you think America and it's beautiful majestic flag is so offensive or abhorrent, then I recommend you visit the house of a Gold Star Family because I can bet that American Flag covering the wooden box that their son or daughter came home in, is proudly displayed on their wall. Their loss was in honor of someone who had a heroes heart, the heart of a warrior. You could learn from that.

Be well and I wish you deeper appreciation and respect in life.

Regards,
This proud ass Marine MoM.. (KW)